Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:20 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 7:20 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal ContestantsAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:16 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Doug - newspaper article - £75k Deal winner benefits axed
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
This article, regarding DOND contestant Doug, appeared in The Sun newspaper today - thanks to Travis P for the link.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007140601,00.html

The Sun wrote:
By JOHN COLES
March 29, 2007

A DEAL Or No Deal winner is moaning his benefits have been stopped — after he pocketed £75,000 on the gameshow.

Retired trucker Doug May, 76, claims he is WORSE off than before he went on the hit TV show.

He says he cannot pay his bills now his £140-a-week handouts in council tax relief and income support have been axed.

He added: “I’ve been left absolutely penniless. I wish I hadn’t put myself forward for the show — it wasn’t worth it.”

Widower Doug, from Newquay, Cornwall, bought a Renault Clio car and cleared his debts after landing the huge prize on Noel Edmonds’ Channel 4 hit.

He claimed he gave the remaining £60,000 to his four children and 12 grandkids.

Doug said: “As soon as the show had been on TV, these social workers came to my house in flashy cars and they wanted to take money off me.

“I told them I’ve got no money left but they say I’ll have to reapply for benefits. It could take months. I have no idea how I’m going to pay the bills. I can’t believe something that made me so happy has ruined my life.”

Doug, registered as disabled because he has limited use of his arms, applied to appear on the show last year.

He was treated to five-star hotel accommodation during filming and appeared on 18 shows until he sat in the hot seat in January.

Anyone with £21,000 in savings does not qualify for council tax relief or income support for social care.

Cornwall County Council said: “If someone’s financial situation has changed then they are free to reapply to the council for funding.”

Suezan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:42 pm    Author: Suezan    Post subject:

I knew about this a few weeks ago its a darn shame

little_monster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:50 pm    Author: little_monster    Post subject:

That's so harsh!

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:51 am    Author: James1978    Post subject:

They always say winning £75k is life-changing - but not in a BAD way!

Poor Doug. :(

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:15 am    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

A very, very curious tale. Possibly says a lot for the complexity of the tax and benefit system.

No idea what to make of this... I wonder if this appeared in any other papers? T'would be interesting to see how they 'spun' it - especially the Mirror, I'd imagine they'd take a different tone to the other tabloids.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:37 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject:
Forum Games Moderator

true.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:45 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:

KP wrote:
I wonder if this appeared in any other papers?

Travis said that it had appeared in other papers, not sure which ones though...

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:50 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:

Ah, after searching for "Doug May" in Google News - it seems that his article also appeared in The Daily Express, The Daily Record and What's On TV, although there are probably others.

The Daily Express wrote:
DEAL OR NO DEAL WINNER HAS BENEFITS STOPPED

Thursday March 29,2007
By Padraic Flanagan

A MAN who won £75,000 on TV’s Deal or No Deal says it has ruined his life.

Doug May, 76, was delighted when he walked away from Noel Edmonds’ hit show with his windfall back in January.

But as soon as the episode was broadcast on Channel 4 last Friday, eagle-eyed benefit officers swooped to tell him his good fortune meant he was losing £140 a week in council tax relief and pension credit.

By then the retired HGV driver had shared out £60,000 among his four children and 12 grandchildren and spent the rest on a new Renault Cleo Sport car and clearing debts and his outstanding mortgage.

“I’ve been left absolutely penniless,” said Doug, of Newquay, Cornwall. “I went on the show to represent my four children. But I might as well have gone on representing the social services because that’s where the money is going to go.

“I’ve told them I have got no money left – but they say I’ll have to reapply for benefits all over again. It could take months.”

Doug, who has lived alone after his wife Shirley died 20 months ago, is registered as disabled because he has limited use of his arms.

He said: “As soon as the show had been on TV, these social workers came to my house in their flashy cars and just wanted to take money off me. I have no idea how I’m going to pay the bills. I can’t believe something that made me so happy has ruined my life.”

Doug first applied to appear on Deal or No Deal a year ago and said his “dreams came true” when he received an invitation to take part.

“I had a wonderful time and made lots of friends,” he said. “Noel was really nice, even though he kept making the odd joke about me – but it has all gone sour now.”

Doug had to sit through 18 shows before reaching the hot seat.

“For the last three shows the big money had been on the table so although I promised myself I would go on until the end, I found myself dealing,” he said.

“I did have £100,000 in my box but £75,000 was plenty, or at least I thought it would be. Maybe I should have gambled – all of the money has gone now.”

Benefits guidelines say anyone with £21,000 in savings does not qualify for council tax relief, income support or pension credit.

A Cornwall County Council spokesman would only say: “These services are always means-tested but if someone’s financial situation has changed then they are free to reapply to the council for funding.”

The rapid response by benefits officers was praised by the Department for Work and Pensions.

“It shows that the system is working efficiently,” said a spokesman.

Source: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/3027

The Daily Record wrote:
29 March 2007
NO DEAL ON BENEFITS

A PENSIONER who won £75,000 on Deal Or No Deal claims the show has ruined his life because all his benefits were axed.

Doug May, 76, netted the cash on Noel Edmonds's hit TV series.

He says after filming in January, he gave £60,000 to his four children and 12 grandchildren.

He also bought a car and paid off debts, including his mortgage.

But after the programme was aired on Friday, Doug claims social services told him he no longer qualifies for benefits.

Doug, of Newquay, Cornwall, said: "I've been left penniless."

Cornwall County Council said benefits are means-tested but anyone is free to reapply.

Source: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_he ... _page.html

What's On TV wrote:
Pensioner: 'Deal' ruined me
Thursday 29th March

A pensioner has said his life had been ruined after winning £75,000 on the game show Deal Or No Deal.

Doug May said he was representing his four children on the programme, presented by Noel Edmonds, and immediately gave £60,000 to them and his 12 grandchildren.

With the remaining funds the retired HGV driver bought a car and has nothing left but now says his benefits have been stopped.

The 76-year-old, from Newquay, Cornwall, said that after the programme, which was filmed in January and broadcast last week, council officers visited his home and told him he no longer qualified for state money. In total he has lost about £560 a month.

"I've been left absolutely penniless," he said. "I might as well have gone on the show representing social services because that is where the money is going.

"I've told them I have no money left but they have said I'll have to reapply all over again.

"I've no idea how I am going to pay the bills. I can't believe that something that made me so happy has ruined my life."

A spokesman for Cornwall County Council said they could not comment on individual cases.

Source: http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/news/579

Suezan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:50 am    Author: Suezan    Post subject:

After talking to a friend of Dougs my understanding of it is that initially he was told if he kept the money he would have his benefits stopped, so it looks like he gave it away and they stopped his benefits anyway, I hope they are happy with themselves as Doug suffered a major heartattack which left him in hospital for two weeks, due probably to his treatment at the end of jobsworths.

Bah now if he was an immigrant or a single mother they'd say keep the money have a house on us and anything else you require, not that I have anything against single mothers or immigrants it's just the system is so biased.

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:09 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

Suezan wrote:
After talking to a friend of Dougs my understanding of it is that initially he was told if he kept the money he would have his benefits stopped, so it looks like he gave it away and they stopped his benefits anyway,

That's what I thought - if he no longer has the money then how can they remove his benefits?! It's not as if he was flashy about the money either - he generously gave it to his children - not that they'd take that into account... :( :?

rico7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:02 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject:

You could understand them reducing Doug's benefits if he had put all or most of his money into a savings account and just had it sitting there, but I thought benefits were based upon people's savings. :? For Doug to have given away £60,000 and only kept a relatively small portion of his winnings for himself shows how generous he is, and how ungenerous the social services in Cornwall are. It sounds like Doug was also very honest in telling them about his big win in the first place.

Daniel C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:06 pm    Author: Daniel C    Post subject:

This is very harsh on Doug, I hope all this gets sorted.

He is a top bloke and giving so much of his winnings to his family is very generous of him.

Jon_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:06 pm    Author: Jon_    Post subject:

Just a thought - but - if you have money to support yourself should you give it to your family and still expect the state to support you. Our benefifit system has to stop somewhere.

chapmanbaxter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:40 pm    Author: chapmanbaxter    Post subject:

I am delighted he got caught and exposed. Someone who wins £75,000 tax-free should stop holding the begging bowl out. The benefits system is there for those who need it, not those who do not.

The old "I gave it to my family" line is totally see-through. "There you go, kids, have that money. Me? Don't worry! I'll just keep holding out the begging bowl and the tax-payer will pay for me!"

I can't believe the sheer naivety of some of the reactions here, nor the naive and hateful comment about single mothers and immigrants.

Give me an honest immigrant or single mother any day rather than a man on the fiddle.

Let those who need benefits get *every penny* they deserve. Let Doug and the other fiddlers be shown for what they are.

jmas07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:43 pm    Author: jmas07    Post subject:

Daniel C wrote:

He is a top bloke and giving so much of his winnings to his family is very generous of him.

I disagree.

chapmanbaxter wrote:
I am delighted he got caught and exposed. Someone who wins £75,000 tax-free should stop holding the begging bowl out. The benefits system is there for those who need it, not those who do not.

The old "I gave it to my family" line is totally see-through. "There you go, kids, have that money. Me? Don't worry! I'll just keep holding out the begging bowl and the tax-payer will pay for me!"

I can't believe the sheer naivety of some of the reactions here, nor the naive and hateful comment about single mothers and immigrants.

Give me an honest immigrant or single mother any day rather than a man on the fiddle.

Let those who need benefits get *every penny* they deserve. Let Doug and the other fiddlers be shown for what they are.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

chapmanbaxter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:47 pm    Author: chapmanbaxter    Post subject:

Thanks for saying that jmas. I was genuinely shocked by some of the sentiments on this thread.

jmas07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:53 pm    Author: jmas07    Post subject:

You and me both - no one can stop people feeling sorry for one another, but what is happening here is an obvious attempt at flawing the benefits system, so if you ask me the right thing has been done. And it has been pointed out on another thread, Doug surely has a pension, his life can't be ruined like he makes it out to be!

chapmanbaxter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:05 pm    Author: chapmanbaxter    Post subject:

Agreed.

I too feel sorry for people when warranted. For instance, I feel sorry for hard-working people who sweat blood all day and contribute tax for the benefit system and then watch as some people fiddle that system.

I also feel sorry for the honest people who need benefits but do not get as much as they deserve/need because people who do not need benefits continue to take money from the pot.

Dond-knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:00 pm    Author: Dond-knight    Post subject:

Daniel C wrote:

100% Agreed He is a very generous Guy and if he doesn't have it anymore he doesn't have it simple I to hope he gets it sorted out.He is ven said on the show he'd be giving most of it away.

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:30 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject:
Forum Games Moderator

chapmanbaxter wrote:

PRECISELY. Lets put it very much more crudely: Honest immigrant=has right to beg for more money. Doug, greedy snob who won £75,000 on this gameshow and now wants more simply because he's 76, = rich....er, Bloke. He does not deserve more money, and whats more, its one thing going about boasting that you gave £60,000 away to your family, and its another to go about boasting you gave away £60,000 to your family when there is no evidence! Plus, its also a method of showing off, saying, "look at me, i gave £60,000 away to me kids and look how much money i still got left, look how rich i am!!"

He could AT THE VERY VERY LEAST not go round to the local papers saying, put very simply, "im greedy i won £75,000 and now i want more"

Rant Over.

-Dan

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal ContestantsAll times are UTC [ DST ]