Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:07 pm Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 3:07 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 20 posts ] 

Billy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:19 am    Author: Billy    Post subject: What were you doing in 2005?

Warnings: 0
In October this year, Deal or No Deal will have been on air for ten whopping years. Something I find astonishing and rather terrifying, still seeing it as something of a 'new' show when it's been around for a decade!

So, flashing back, how was your life back in that far-off year of 2005? How old were you, what did you do and what are your memories from the time? I'll help by listing a few major news and cultural events:

* Live 8
* London got the 2012 Olympics, only to have one of its worst days just 24 hours later when the transport bombings occurred
* Tony Blair won a third term at the General Election
* The book release of 'Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince' causing general mayhem, with people queueing outside shops at midnight across the world - meanwhile the movies had got up to The Goblet of Fire, released in the November
* The end (for now) of Star Wars with Episode III, the end of Star Trek with Enterprise but the return of Doctor Who!
* 'Downloads' were added to the music singles chart, beginning the slow disappearance of the compact disc and general physical media
* Chip & PIN credit and debit cards become widespread - prior to this you'd have to keep signing your signature on receipts
* The first civil partnerships take place in the UK, paving the way for gay marriage a decade later
* Pubs in England and Wales are allowed to serve alcohol after 11pm and be open for as long as they like - no more fixed closing times!
* The Crazy Frog. :oops:

Me? In 2005 I was sixteen years old, mostly dressed in black and had long hair down to my shoulders. Spent every evening of my life on MSN Messenger and mostly listened to lots of underground trance and hard house music on late night radio. Watched Star Wars at the cinema and was overjoyed to see Doctor Who back on TV, and some of my favourite tracks that year included Pendulum's 'Slam', Kanye West's 'Gold Digger', and, erm, 'My Humps' by the Black Eyed Peas. Also remember getting a flatbed scanner for my birthday and a DVD Recorder for Christmas!

What are your 2005 memories? If you were younger than me I'm going to feel very old :p

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:43 am    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

Interesting...

Back in 2005 I was coming towards the end of my first year in high school about to go into Year 8. I was pretty popular in primary school and was friends with pretty much everyone, but the step up was huge. There was over 200 kids in our year so the sheer size of things was quite daunting, and as it happened I only hung around with a few people in school and that was it as Year 7 ended. That would be the case for the next two and a half years or so.

That summer, we went to Protaras, Cyprus for 10 days in a really nice resort. All I was fussed about is that there was a huge pool and that we were close to the sea, so I was content with with that. As it happened, this was the last family holiday we went on before my parents split 18 months later. I was in Cyprus when 7/7 occurred, and I still vividly remember this bloke running past the pool screaming that London had been bombed, which was pretty bizarre.

Indeed Billy, MSN was all the rage back then so that was basically a nightly occurrence for hours on end. I managed to stumble on some old chatlogs from 05/06 last year when I plugged in an old PC of ours which were rather inevitably embarrassing with a shedload of emoticons just littered through my messages. I certainly wasn't the only one with umpteen version of "LOL" in smiley or shiny form.

With the lads/men of our family, we headed down to Cardiff to watch Blackburn Rovers play against Arsenal in the FA Cup semi-final (April 16th 2005 apparently, according to Wiki). It took us about 6 hours to get there with 1 (maybe 2) service station stops en route. We had a portable DVD player with us for the journey, but just one DVD - Cheaper By The Dozen. I still love that film, no matter how childish or cliché it is. Oh, we got absolutely rinsed 3-0 which was a bummer.

That's all I really remember from 2005 really, except on December 30th I watched my first ever episode of Deal or No Deal, and it was Max with all the numbers written down. He dealt for £30k and thought he knew where the quarter million was, and he didn't. I was confused by the concept at first, originally thinking he could win £250,000 as well as £30,000 :eyes: Over a month later I found this place, which helped me feel a less lonely over the next few years during my worst years at high school. I wouldn't change any of it! :)

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:55 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

For me:

- 14 years old, 8th grade

- Going on Holiday to Bali in June 2005 with mum, my uncle and aunt and cousins

- Spending Xmas with my uncle and aunt

- The London Bombings :(

- Ringtone sales being shoved down our throats (Couldn't watch a single ad break without seeing a ringtone commercial, and that bloody Crazy Frog!). This was sort of the beginning of young people becoming obsessed with handheld gadgets :(

- "Schnee Schna Schnappi. Schnappi Schnappi Schnap!" ;-)

- VHS cassettes were in their final grasp, with "A history of violence" (which I don't think I've even heard of!) being the last big film to be released on VHS. Though I was still using VHS cassettes to record cartoons off Disney channel! :P

- It was one of the best times for EDM and house music when it was still underground, but people hated electronic music at the time (especially here in Australia), and listening to it would make you the black sheep at school (or 'gay', according to the annoying teens who use that word every 5 seconds to describe something they dislike :roll: ), while teenagers were all listening to Emo music at the time

- Me getting my first iPod (which I got for Christmas and had for about 5 months before I broke the screen on it, and had to get a new one next Christmas :oops:)

- This was when I got pay TV and discovered shows like Kim Possible, which became one of my favourite cartoons ever! :D

- Also, it was Disney Channel's last good year before High School Musical and Hannah Montana turned it into teenybopper channel :(

- Lastly, I remember it being an extremely hot New Year's Eve. Welcoming in 2006 after a 42 degree day ! (That's australian summer for you!)

Favourite songs from '05 were:

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc
DHT - Listen to your heart
Rob Thomas - This is how a heart breaks
Axwell featuring Tara McDonald - Feel the vibe (till the morning comes)
Bow Wow - Let me hold you
Rooster - Come Get Some
Bernard Fanning - Wish you well
Tom Novy - Your Body & Take It
Pussycat Dolls - Stickwitu

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:06 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?
Forum Games Moderator

I'm afraid you're going to feel positively ancient, Billy...I was 10! :P

I was...well, I can't remember that much, if I'm honest, but I was very much into cars, still, an obsession I'd had for about three years but which ran its course soon afterwards. I was involved in a school production of Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat, in which I played one of the eleven brothers; my most prominent lines, 'grovel, grovel, cringe, bow, stoop, fall/worship, worship, beg, kneel, sponge, crawl' - this was a roaring success at the local Navy training establishment, HMS Sultan, in the July of '05.
I recall how we walked from our school in one part of town to the establishment which was around two miles away - and back - every time we went there to rehearse, in June and July, and on one such trip I happened to walk into a lamp post and hit my head, much to my peers' amusement...I've always had a penchant for clumsiness :lol:

In the January I celebrated my tenth birthday with a Bart Simpson cake, about £20 and a ride in my second cousin's battered Toyota van, which I absolutely loved. I also received my first-ever camera, an Oregon Scientific point-and-shoot - which was notable for being the smallest camera available to the public at that time. It was utterly awful, though.
I was still into Harry Potter, but wouldn't have bought the book until a bit later; 2005 was the year of my love affair with A Series of Unfortunate Events. That was, and remains (as my Facebook friends know) one of my all-time favourite series of books, perhaps even my favourite. For some reason, I particularly enjoyed the tale of the siblings going to a strange, mythical island ruled by a man called Ishmael - so much so that when Tugger created a forum series character here called Ishmael in '06, I jumped straight in and told him all about the books I'd been reading, which must have bemused him a bit, because he'd never heard of them. Tugger was mtugby back then, of course, and his series would go on to rival that of Redrum666 for the title of 'the forum's greatest'; for me, Tugger's actually pips Red's to the post, on a technicality alone: that he was the original. Anyway, that's not 2005... :smt023

In May of '05, I'd moved house for the first time in 3 years and 9 months, which was the longest spell I'd ever spent at a single address until that point. Our new place would be ours until July 2009, though, eclipsing that record.
Said new place was on a road which backed onto a creek - I glanced towards the dead end, saw a solitary wreck protruding from the roadside, and the rest, as they say, was history. I've spent most of my free time since then researching, documenting, photographing and recording the 33 shipwrecks in that creek - as and when I feel like it, nowadays.
In the September, I went on a school residential trip to Osmington Bay, out in the countryside, which was wonderful. I fell back in love with my first flame, a girl called Alison; she loved dolphins, and I bought her trinkets - a dolphin clock, a small model dolphin - but the love was unrequited, and although she accepted the clock, the little dolphin sits on the windowledge in my room today. Not because of her, we're just good friends now, just because I've actually come to like it myself.

November was cold, and barren, and December I can't remember a minute of.

I remember I walked in on my dad watching DoND, though, at some point, and I thought something like, 'what on earth is this?'.

As in '05, as in '15...

:-D

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:17 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?
Forum Games Moderator

Oh! And on Unfortunate Events - how could I forget the one in the hotel? That was the book which started, and cemented, my passion for hotels, as odd as that may sound. That was brilliant, too.
In October, we had a three-day break at Doniford Bay in Somerset, which was rather enjoyable, although I've not been back since. Perhaps this year... :smt023

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:06 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

I was 8 in '05 and still in Primary school (Primary 4 and 5 - Years 3 and 4 in England?). On the subjects of Deal and my age, I turned 9 the day before DoND started - and had a church parade on my birthday.

I remember that Crazy Frog, and I hated it...

Like Aaron, I was in Cyprus when the 7/7 attacks happened, and it being really big news on the radio in the car my dad hired.

I loved acting (and still do) and liked dancing as well...just don't mention conga lines... :smt011

More recently, I've been missing ages like 2005 - mainly because I was young and happy. I just wish I wasn't so much of an idiot and that I should've just went with the flow.

matthew17

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:15 am    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

Cor, can't believe it's been 10 years since DOND started here :shock: Would've just been starting secondary school back then. I still remember the first episode I ever watched was Mally's game, since then I was hooked on the show for like a year afterwards (I literally didn't want to miss a single episode).

Don't remember a lot else from 2005 really, apart from the events already mentioned... oh, and the masterpiece song that was 'Lonely' by Akon :P

Skyline

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:19 am    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?
Forum Games Moderator

2005 was the year i left primary school to go to secondary school

quite an eventful year, this was the year my mum left england to go to corsica

i didn't really like primary school and i was excited to start secondary school, i made a few acquaintences but my true friends i wouldn't make until januray 2006 typical right? :P

primary school was quite annoying - if you swore everyone would tell on you bloody annoying, i had a few run ins with the horrid teacher named mrs o connor - she was scary as *beep* - this year it was due to a camera

this year was also leavers assembly for us in primary shcool and it is quite scary when you think about it

i also did my grade 2 exam piano and got a disticntion suprisingly which was ginger peachy and everyhting haha

quite a pivotal year in my life tbh :)

i only really watched one episode of deal or no deal and didn't really think much of it, it was some time in june 2006 or something like that tbh. the guy won like £9,000 i think. so not in this time frame sorry man

frog

psychokiller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:41 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

Sounds like you're a few sheets to the wind.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:12 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?
Forum Games Moderator

Nice stuff :smt023

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:33 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

In 2005, I...

-was 19 years old.

-was still living in Montreal.

-was in my second year of CEGEP (pre-university) education. I was studying Cinema, Video and Communications.

-was in my second hear of hosting a morning radio show on Dawson College's CIXS Radio.

-was promoted from on-air host to producer and news director at CIXS, while maintaining regular hosting duties.

-had an affinity for lounge music, but later dropped it after discovering that it was a very narrow genre with few songs.

-was a big fan of The Lounge King Show on Montreal's Mix 96. The show was cancelled a few years later when Mix 96 transitioned to Virgin Radio 96.

-worked as an intern at Mix 96 with one of my CinCom buddies. It was an interesting experience, to say the least.
-got my first summer job as a telemarketer at a small company called Matrix Marketing. No idea if they're still around today. I only lasted a few weeks on the job, as I was a terrible salesman.

-was thinking about pursuing a career in radio.

-hadn't yet decided which university to apply to. About a year later, I was accepted to McGill, and spent an ill-fated year there studying English Literature and later Cultural Studies. I often refer to this as "The Lost Year" and one of the biggest mistakes of my entire life. By the time 2007 had rolled around, I had transferred to Concordia to study Journalism, which would significantly alter the course of my life.

-was about a year away from joining this forum.

-began watching the American version of Deal, which started out strong, but then began a slow and painful decline. By 2010, it was gone, and believe me when I say that it was for the better.

-was probably a lot thinner than I am now, although I have lost some weight lately.

That's all I can come up with right now.

Gizensha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:34 am    Author: Gizensha    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

I turned 20, was on the second year of a HND, and doing live commentaries of Deal over on Bothers Bar.

...And really that's the only significant things I recall doing that year.

rhysdond

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:59 pm    Author: rhysdond    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

doing general 5 year old things

Archstered

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:42 pm    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

I'll copy Dr H's way of going about this...
In 2005, I...

-was 11 years old.

-was still living in the best city in the UK, Bristol. I have a lot of love for this place.

-I just started Secondary school. I was a bit of an outcast, but thankfully had a friendship group. I was the fat, ugly gorm than everyone took this piss out of, but luckily enough, I've always had the ability to do the same to myself. We all have faults.

-A very keen actor at this age & Chew Valley Secondary School (One of the best public schools in the country) gained a performing arts status, which really gave me ground to showcase my acting ability. I actually went to to get the lead role in The Wind In The Willows, playing toad. I based the character on The Banker from DoND. True Story!

-My sexuality has always been a key thing in my life. I've always known That I wasn't "normal", and it was probably around this time I finally realised I was Gay. Something I didn't tell ANYONE about until January of last year. Hey, This is a good team building activity ;)

-ALWAYS had a fascination about strong, diva voices and powerful ballads within music. Whitney Houston my favourite, although the last song to be played at my funeral will be "The winner takes it all" by ABBA.

-I vividly remember watching the first episode of DoND and saying to my Nan "That was really good". Little did I know at the time that A) How compelling it would be, and B) Ten years later I would have seen over 320 games live in the studio getting equally frustrated and humbled by the hundreds of players I've seen.

-I always wanted to be an Actor, and made no secrets about that, but I genuinely thin nI have what it takes to become a compelling and entertaining TV presenter, and maybe nexy year I will have the chance to give it a go... ;)

-Of course, you don't worry about grades and when teachers and peers talk about your GCSE's in 4/5 years time, you brush them aside. Looking back, I could have worked harder, but I didn't get bad grades, and actually, they aren't all that important. Sometimes getting A full board of A's and A*'s can become a hindrance. Think about it.
-was about a year away from joining this forum.

-As I mentioned, I've always been a bit of a lonely chubster. I didn't have many good friends, and I would have much rather of played my own versions of DoND in my room than go and hang out with other kids, but it's amazing to think how much a person can change in ten years. Looking back now, I probably have a much better social life then all the "cool kids". Teehee.

I've always wanted to strive to help people the best I can, and now a lot of people come to me for advice. So if at any time, any of you need assistance with ANYTHING, just ask me. The worse thing I could come back saying is "I don't know"..

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask :smt023

rhysdond

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:56 pm    Author: rhysdond    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

I know i've already posted, but I remember watching dond for the first time around the end of '06, the games I remember best were Laura's (250k) and Bunney's, who could forget that!
I'm not sure if i'm making things up but I remember a man dealing at 30k at 11 box or 8 box, and getting offered 40k the next round

I remember the deal or no deal dvd game, I was so excited when my parents got it for me, only for me to win 50p..

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:52 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?
Forum Games Moderator

I don't remember much of Bunney's game actually! I vaguely recall his stance and that he was an exuberant character, and of course that he dealt a rather exuberant amount of money (£110,000 I think).

Anyhow, that was half an hour ago and I have no idea where I was going with that. So on to something else :lol: - the DVD game was fantastic, I thought. I played it religiously for about nine months, and even found it more addictive than Driver: Parallel Lines. Easily-impressed twelve-year-old... :P

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:42 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

Now 2005 was 11 years ago! This is crazy!! :shock:

I thought about this thread after mentioning the amount of house songs in the 2002-2007 era that either sampled old songs or were covers of old songs, such as

Uniting Nations - Out of touch
Global Deejays - The sound of San Francisco
Eric Prydz - Call on me
Mylo - in my arms
Sunset Strippers - Falling Stars
Cabin Crew - Star 2 fall

Followed by Cascada doing trance covers of songs like 'Everytime we touch', 'truly madly deeply' and 'because the night' over the next couple of years (oh, and don't forget the rather risqué music videos that went with house songs in the mid 2000s ;-) )

I think 2005 was pretty much the final 'nostalgia' year for current nostalgic 25-30 year olds (I think people consider 1987-2005 to be the 'nostalgia era')

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:18 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?
Forum Games Moderator

I've never heard of a nostalgic era... :P

For me, personally, it's anything up to 2012, because that's what I feel nostalgic about, although late 2013 and early 2014 fit in there as well. In a few years' time, I'll feel nostalgic about 2016, hopefully...

JDGA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:24 am    Author: JDGA    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

11 years old, and suffering through the worst year of my life. Let's... just leave it at that.

thundercat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:01 pm    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: What were you doing in 2005?

In 2005 I was still at school and was approx 14. I never really watched deal or no deal til the beginning of the next year so have no sentiments in that aspect of it. The summer particularly stood out to me with regards to music. I remember the Peter Kay charity single being a nuisance and Gwen Stefani getting a lot of radio airplay. I spent far to much time playing Halo 2 though, from what I can remember. For those who remember the game, I legitimately got to level 42 (not a pun to one of the best 80s bands ever) before cheating to get to level 50, but remember not liking the symbol so lost a game deliberately to get back to level 49 :oops:

Nostalgia 10/10.

[ 20 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]