Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Archstered

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:02 pm    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Phil

Warnings: 0
Davao wrote:
Archstered wrote:
Davao wrote:
Archstered wrote:
Awful game.

Can you explain by how it was awful? Are you talking about the player or the gameplay?

Phil had no idea about the button, that was made clear in the edit. Any deal at 14% of the average with £250,000 still in play is awful judgement. There was no tension or excitement throughout the whole game. The gimmick with Phil trying to make the audience laugh was pointless, and clearly just something to fill in a couple of minutes. A poor hour of television today.

Perhaps, he was nervous. It is a scary thought being on TV in front of 5 million viewers. He wouldn't know the statistics would he? I think no one should complain because it was his money, not yours. If people don't like it then don't watch it? He was unlucky around 8 box. I thought it wasn't bad because there wasn't much backup after the 250k. IMO I always respect the contestant and I think other people should too. It's down to nerves.

Love, I don't know where you're getting 5 million viewers from, it hardly scrapes 700,000 these days.

Davao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:02 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Phil

Dr. Hindsight wrote:
A good enough game for my birthday. At least it wasn't a flameout.

The red streak continues :).

At least you have made a positive contribution today. :) Thanks for that.

Davao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:03 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Phil

Archstered wrote:
Davao wrote:
Archstered wrote:
Davao wrote:
Archstered wrote:
Awful game.

Can you explain by how it was awful? Are you talking about the player or the gameplay?

Phil had no idea about the button, that was made clear in the edit. Any deal at 14% of the average with £250,000 still in play is awful judgement. There was no tension or excitement throughout the whole game. The gimmick with Phil trying to make the audience laugh was pointless, and clearly just something to fill in a couple of minutes. A poor hour of television today.

Perhaps, he was nervous. It is a scary thought being on TV in front of 5 million viewers. He wouldn't know the statistics would he? I think no one should complain because it was his money, not yours. If people don't like it then don't watch it? He was unlucky around 8 box. I thought it wasn't bad because there wasn't much backup after the 250k. IMO I always respect the contestant and I think other people should too. It's down to nerves.

Love, I don't know where you're getting 5 million viewers from, it hardly scrapes 700,000 these days.

I don't check the views for the show, how do I know? I am not love either. Also it was just nerves in the end. You can't expect a good show every day.

Archstered

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:05 pm    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Phil

Perhaps I'm pointing out that now, I can see why the show has been in a steady decline for years. The early shows were packed full of comedy and tension throughout, without the use of gimmicks. Box 23 and the Offer Button haven't pulled back any viewers. I'm usually a very positive person on this forum and have stuck of for many contestants in the past, but today's game lacked any sort of exciting television.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:06 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Phil

In North America, if a TV show pulls those kind of numbers, it might be liable to get cancelled.

Davao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:09 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Phil

Archstered wrote:
Perhaps I'm pointing out that now, I can see why the show has been in a steady decline for years. The early shows were packed full of comedy and tension throughout, without the use of gimmicks. Box 23 and the Offer Button haven't pulled back any viewers. I'm usually a very positive person on this forum and have stuck of for many contestants in the past, but today's game lacked any sort of exciting television.

I can understand the show has declined in recent years. I think the offer button is the most pointless thing on the show. I found the 2005 shows were boring. I want the 45 min shows back for the tension and unpredictably. I found today show not amazing, but it was good and watchable, which is the main thing for me. I like us having debates like these. :)

Davao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:10 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Phil

Dr. Hindsight wrote:
In North America, if a TV show pulls those kind of numbers, it might be liable to get cancelled.

How many views does a good show get over there? 3 mill?

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:14 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Phil

Sometimes more, sometimes less. It's not uncommon to have popular shows with several million viewers.

A Brit I met at a conference in Las Vegas recently laughed when I asked him if he'd heard of Deal or No Deal

"Oh, that's low-brow television, really. It's mostly watched by stay-at-home mums."

hogwild94

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:17 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Phil
Global Moderator

Pretty cautious deal, but he made it work in the end, so good for him. :smt023

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

thundercat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:48 am    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Phil

Archstered wrote:
Davao wrote:
Archstered wrote:
Davao wrote:
Archstered wrote:
Awful game.

+1, ludicrous statement to suggest 5m. Not sure the show has ever pulled that much even on specials.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:11 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Phil
Forum Games Moderator

I think David was probably caught in the heat of the moment there; happens to the greatest of us... :P

Even at 400,000 or so, I can imagine the prospect of playing to such an audience is quite daunting. From personal experience, even playing to a crowd of 400 was enough to prevent me from sleeping for a week beforehand, and 40 is nerve-wracking enough. I was at my egotistical peak at that time, too - so what of a player who isn't familiar with the limelight? Nerves jangle, panic might set in, judgment is inevitably affected, inevitably. Pressure comes to the fore. Perhaps he who copes better with pressure might have more chance of succeeding in his game of Deal or No Deal than he who tends to falter and fumble.

Perhaps, after luck, this is what separates many of our 'heroes' from our 'villains' - not their attitude, or their judgments, but how those judgments were affected by their ability to tackle the challenging circumstances with which they were faced.

All that in mind, I think David actually has a very valid point indeed - if we choose to look past the irrelevant stuff, and deeper into what he really meant. ;) :smt023

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]