Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:02 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 7:02 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:53 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 06/02 John
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
Gentlemen, there are no winners in an argument; only respected friends in a debate. Let's keep to our values, and rather than attack the opposition, present them with our own case in such a way that they'll be challenged to find a better response. Let's not compete but discuss. After all, we're not here to quarrel with one another over the boar, but to collaborate in working out how best to cook him so that we will all eat tonight! If we sit here and wage war on each other's principles, we'll be here all week, we'll get hungry and our dear friend will rot - and that will render us all useless! ;) :smt023

Personally, I can't say I'd have made that decision, but if John could afford to lose £15,000, and he was content to do so, that's alright with me. :)

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

SteffanDeal20056

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:05 pm    Author: SteffanDeal20056    Post subject: Re: 06/02 John

Ouch Now THAT is a crash haven't the game so can't comment on it gonna see it later on 4OD after 9 years expect the unexpected on this show

SteffanDeal20056

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:13 pm    Author: SteffanDeal20056    Post subject: Re: 06/02 John

The other players are gonna **** themselves about Box 23 now after this

psychokiller

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:49 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 06/02 John

Haha, handbag blows on this forum, it's been a while. Have to admit it shakes things up a bit after the constant diet of ''Nice game, shame about the face, well done with your money, risks rewarded, no complaints'' - to have three people embroiled in a heated debate over what some poor sod lost on a game show almost brings back the post-game spark that's been missing since I was four-sodding-teen.

Was John an idiot for risking £15,000 for the chance to leave with just the clothes on his back?

Maybe.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:22 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 06/02 John
International Forums Moderator

Well I'll give him this much. Apart from the two-box coinflip, every single gamble he made was EV+, including the one on 23. And I'm not even sure I take the £28k myself, because the QM with anything in the block could be pushing £100k, and the likely outcome from taking the QM out was a few grand. It's not even close to the worst gameplay we've ever seen.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:45 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 06/02 John
Global Moderator

Fair result from consistent play in the main game, but horribly unlucky from Box 23. :( Hopefully he won't have too many regrets. :smt023

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:20 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 06/02 John

Well, that was a really exciting game to watch, and it's a shame it was relegated to the 3pm slot in the crazy world of channel 4 daytime scheduling... :roll:

Today's game proved this show can still deliver some surprising moments all these years on. I'm with KP, in that the only really questionable decision for me was rejecting the mean at 2-box; very little to be gained there utility-wise and lots to lose. If I'd have got that far (£28k was more borderline than it initially appeared, although I'd have probably edged to dealing), I'd have had my 2-box deal wiped out with box 23 anyway, so even sensible strategies can fail in this new age...

Certainly a memorable game!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:14 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 06/02 John

Dr. Hindsight wrote:
And John is now among the series' biggest idiots.

Davao

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:59 am    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: 06/02 John

I have seen a lot worse gambles than John's. He was far from it, it was worth the risk for 23 as there was a 80 percent chance of leaving with something. I'm sure if 23 paid off you'd be praising him, why give him grief, he hasn't to you. THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN MONEY. That's all some people care about. Family and friends are more important than money. He was unlucky to have the 20 percent chance. After all NOTHING was in the game before this, so it was overdue for a red. I will be angry if someone doesn't deal 23 on Monday and has +10,000 in. Sorry John. Great guy. He has been honest in his time, he remained true to his word by dealing 23, as he did when he was in the wings. No one can fault him for that. It is really hard sitting in the chair. For the people who think is greedy. you don't know what it is really because if you went on the show, I'd know you'd probably deal at the 3rd offer and think it's really easy. He made some tough decisions in that game and he did give every offer thought, he went what his instinct told him and it didn't pay off. Sure money would be nice, but there is better things in life you should be thankful for. He has met some outstanding people on the show and he didn't have any regrets, which is a key factor. He is more mature than some people. . Sorry John. Hope your doing OK. Well done mate, for making the most of it.

[ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]