Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:17 pm Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 2:17 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:22 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 20/11 Sian **FIRST SHOW OF THE MULHERN ERA**

Warnings: 0
Greetings from the retirement home in somewhat cold Canada. Looks like the first game of the Mulhern era was pretty good. You love to see it.

I have absolutely zero hope for this revival, but if things go right, it may have some sticking power. We’ll have to wait and see.

…Sorry, make that you’ll have to wait and see. I’m better off retired. I wore my welcome out over a decade ago.

Have fun, guys. Over and out.

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:34 am    Author: Rob    Post subject: Re: 20/11 Sian **FIRST SHOW OF THE MULHERN ERA**

Might a new sub forum be an idea for the new era? Just a thought.

Power5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:51 am    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 20/11 Sian **FIRST SHOW OF THE MULHERN ERA**

StatsMan wrote:
Decent start as others have said, although I suspect a five-figure win will be relatively rare on this new board.

Perfect bubbly contestant for Stephen to bounce off in the first show - I'm not usually a fan of his particularly, but nice for him to have something of his own, rather than being in Ant and Dec's shadow or well-worn Catchphrase, that he can bring his own style to! :)

It's difficult to separate the old board structure from what materialises, as today would've been a pretty epic £30k win, and today just felt a bit less than that obviously... but then again, the definition of "life-changing" to some has changed dramatically since 2005, so if the majority of players find even high 4-figures a fulfilling win, then maybe it can work.

I guess before, it was special giving away potentially £250k in daytime (unheard of even), whereas now it'll just blend, at least pay-out wise, into what the Tenable's/Tipping Point's/Chase's/Lingo's give away on average, and the worry is all those shows are already successful for ITV...

Yeah, it’s still a decent prize for daytime TV, even if as I pointed out before, the top prize is a mere £50k in “2005 money” after allowing for inflation!

I’ll be interested to see how they manage to keep any element of play in the trainwreck games, and whether the sort of offers people typically deal at will go down in proportion to the top prize, or just a lot more will play on until the end (the 3-box offer might entice more to gamble as well, as 5 down to 2 was always high risk). Sounds like there are a few “Wakeys” in the wings though, from advice given yesterday, we’ll see if that’s reflected in their own games!

Davao

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:20 am    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: 20/11 Sian **FIRST SHOW OF THE MULHERN ERA**

Think it was an excellent opener. A nice contestant Stephen did a great job with the contestants and being the host.

I thought the first few offers was poor, she dealt at the right time for her. Congratulations Sian, well done.

A great opener, and looking forward to see the next. I perhaps was the biggest skpetic at first.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:11 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 20/11 Sian **FIRST SHOW OF THE MULHERN ERA**
Administrator & Global Moderator

It's great to see so many 'old' forum users returning to comment on the first show of the new era, as well as some new faces! The first game of this run was very good as it had a classic, feel-good deal.

The new set is a nice nod to the original one. With its wooden wings and floor, the original was unusual and felt like an intimate underground bunker, but copying it now may have looked odd and wouldn't have fitted with the usual ITV gameshow style.

It's also nice to see the old music along with new/reworked bits too. The box numbers, name badges, values in boxes and on-screen offer graphics aren't as striking as the old ones, but again, they presumably wanted to avoid copying the old ones.

The biggest issue is the lack of the £250k which, as others have mentioned here, will significantly pull down the offers. Given the gap between the highest and second-highest values is now much smaller, there won't be the same risk associated with losing the top one. I don't think DoND would've done so well when it started in 2005 without the draw of the "quarter of a million" and the dramatic games it delivered. This new version is helped by a nostalgia factor though, so whether it's affected by the reduced money remains to be seen.

For lower-money games, the lower reds being £1k - £7.5k instead of £1k - £20k will likely squash the offers so much that people will just play to the end.

I hope this new version does well as it's nice to see it back on TV and Stephen Mulhern seems to be doing a good job (although no-one could ever replace Noel Edmonds!).

Davao

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:10 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: 20/11 Sian **FIRST SHOW OF THE MULHERN ERA**

Perhaps they are testing the waters with this 20 episode run? If they get a new series, with a lot more episodes, perhaps the £250,000 or original board will be back.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:26 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 20/11 Sian **FIRST SHOW OF THE MULHERN ERA**

Viewer ratings:
https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/ratings/ ... 80.article

psychokiller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:23 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 20/11 Sian **FIRST SHOW OF THE MULHERN ERA**

higginson_ronan wrote:
Here's a discord server a few of us are hanging out on if anyone else wants to join - https://discord.gg/gTUdgzWPr3

This server is welcome to, erm, most people.

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:52 am    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject: Re: 20/11 Sian **FIRST SHOW OF THE MULHERN ERA**

psychokiller wrote:
higginson_ronan wrote:
Here's a discord server a few of us are hanging out on if anyone else wants to join - https://discord.gg/gTUdgzWPr3

This server is welcome to, erm, most people.

Welcome to those who aren't going to join and harass people :-)

[ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]