Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:20 am Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 3:20 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

psychokiller

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:08 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 27/11 Kyra

Warnings: 0
Definitely threw her some tasty morsels in those near-mean offers. Don't think there's a single occasion in the C4 format (except maybe the early days) where that isn't a £1 win.

Proof that you can generate tension from low stakes scenarios. And i also love when the "I've got a good feeling" mouthpieces open up the highest remaining value - and it almost always is the highest value.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:43 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: 27/11 Kyra

As others said, good to see proper decisions for the stakes to make up for the lower stakes of the revival. :smt023

That is indeed the lowest ever spanking from a Deal as well. :shock:

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

matt26

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:15 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: 27/11 Kyra

Astonishing that this was in fact the first OPW in the new series. :o

Excellent result given it looked set for disaster from an early stage. I like as well that the banker is giving offers worth considering even on low stakes boards. They did a great job of keeping up the tension even when the maximum possible win was just a few thousand pounds.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:05 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 27/11 Kyra

Bit of an odd game, to be honest, if the banker is basically just going to chuck money at the contestant to provide a "sticking plaster" from a trainwreck scenario... has he lost his 'evil' persona entirely? :ponder:

The worry is that there are plenty of gameshows that just give away modest sums to the contestant, and this didn't feel a lot more nuanced than that. They were so desperate for her to win a red and I suppose there was a bit of artificial tension created, but it rather takes the show in a different direction I'm not sure about, and Tipping Point is just as watchable (and tense?) watching some nice contestant win roughly £2k...

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:42 am    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: 27/11 Kyra

StatsMan wrote:
Bit of an odd game, to be honest, if the banker is basically just going to chuck money at the contestant to provide a "sticking plaster" from a trainwreck scenario... has he lost his 'evil' persona entirely? :ponder:

The worry is that there are plenty of gameshows that just give away modest sums to the contestant, and this didn't feel a lot more nuanced than that. They were so desperate for her to win a red and I suppose there was a bit of artificial tension created, but it rather takes the show in a different direction I'm not sure about, and Tipping Point is just as watchable (and tense?) watching some nice contestant win roughly £2k...

I'm sorry but that just sounds plain silly. Had the last 2 offers both been in the hundreds as you were insinuating that would've felt ridiculously cheap and seeing the resulting forced blue win would not be at all entertaining, especially if long term frequent outcomes like that have a similar effect to the show's worst period in mid to late-2013 where players are too intimidated to take any sort of significant risk.

The Banker being "evil" certainly doesn't mean he has to force players to the end in low stakes games!

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:53 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 27/11 Kyra

Seeing someone agonise over a few thousand isn't particularly 'entertaining' either though... :roll:

Again, I ask what is the aim of this Banker? To "not want you to win" as was intimated at the start of today's show, or to throw money at a board that doesn't really warrant it? Offers such as this relative to the mean would've hardly happened in the other version, and they shouldn't happen now. I'd have rather seen the agony of a £1 win or the relative ecstasy of a £4k win at the end, rather than a flat, dull £1,800 win.

The problem is this version just traps the banker into making vain attempts to buy the box for something meaningful in obvious trainwreck games to fill 30 minutes of TV... and it's not really working, for me. It shouldn't have been brought back, most games are going to be pointless with this Banker behaviour. It's a shame because Mulhern makes it quite watchable.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:59 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 27/11 Kyra

...And if players are intimidated to take a risk based on previous games, I'm afraid that's their problem and the banker has achieved his aim! :smt023 Rather that than a Banker relinquishing his funds for no reason. I know some disagree but this cut-price Deal doesn't really wash with me...

Davao

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:03 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: 27/11 Kyra

Nice lady, a great recovery, a proper fun low stakes game!

Glad to see some good offers on this low stakes board, im sure the outcome would have been different in 2016

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:39 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 27/11 Kyra
Forum Games Moderator

h2005 wrote:
BankerSpanker wrote:
The first Banker spanking of the series!

It must be one of the lowest-ever as well!

Definitely! But then we have only been going for a week... ;)

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

[ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]