Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:50 am Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 12:50 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

higginson_ronan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:02 pm    Author: higginson_ronan    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon

Warnings: 0
Some risks in that game. Some disappointing results so far, time is running out for some great ones now!

Fan of many game shows and Series 87 Champion of Countdown!

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:07 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon

Well if Jamie wasn't due to play before this run of 20 shows ends, he is bound to playing now with his promise to give some money to my namesake.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:37 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon

What is wrong with this show? If the Banker isn’t making questionable offers, the contestants are flat out playing poorly. I’m curious to see the actual ratings, because if we keep seeing results like this, Deal 2023 is essentially dead in the water.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:46 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon
Administrator & Global Moderator

Simon F wrote:
Well if Jamie wasn't due to play before this run of 20 shows ends, he is bound to playing now with his promise to give some money to my namesake.

I think Richard in early 2007 made a similar promise about Andrew when he played. Richard then played the game after Andrew and the banker made an offer which had extra money specifically for Andrew: https://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 68#p254968 :twisted:

Dr. Hindsight wrote:
I’m curious to see the actual ratings, because if we keep seeing results like this, Deal 2023 is essentially dead in the water.

Apparently they're holding at around 2 million which is about the same as Tipping Point that usually occupies this timeslot. Based on that it's highly likely that DoND will be renewed. I think the last time the Edmonds version was getting about 2 million viewers regularly was around the end of 2011.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:01 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon

I see these shows still suffer from "clock syndrome" where you kind of know what is going to happen, or at least have a clue, based on how much time was left. With obviously not enough time left for a big finish, once he no-dealt the £5,600 it was either a cut-your-losses deal for less or a crash.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:02 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon

H are you thinking of Mark saying to Lisa (Autumn 06) he would give her a grand if his game went well (which it did)?

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

matt26

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:33 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon

Horrible result of course, but credit to them for keeping the game so tense despite the lower stakes. Lots of arguable either way decisions and just unfortunate it didn't work out.

But it looks like they've given up on offering the swap entirely. This is the first blue vs red finish where someone's gone all the way and it still wasn't mentioned...

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:44 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon
Administrator & Global Moderator

James1978 wrote:
H are you thinking of Mark saying to Lisa (Autumn 06) he would give her a grand if his game went well (which it did)?

I don't remember that one actually. I'm doubting now whether Richard said he'd give money to Andrew, but he definitely had an offer that specifically had money for Andrew attached. It may have just been the result of the banker playing random mind games rather than any promise Richard had made.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:51 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon

Had to look it up - Richard one offer got offered money for Andrew then the next offer he dealt had a blank cheque included :)

psychokiller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:10 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon

With less than 20 shopping days to go before the big sack is emptied all over the living room floor, we the people are needing festive fluff entertainment on the TV that lays a bridge across the uncomfortably cold and dark afternoons to take us gently through to the cosy evenings. Something that doesn't sling tranquiliser darts of depression and mournfulness into our frontal lobes without our consent.

Deal or No Deal (2023 revised redraft) is not providing us with cheer. There was nothing redeemable about a hard working father, eyeing up just one measly Eurodisney holiday for his young family, being presented with misfortune like that. Not one single decision to make. 10p win right from the outset. An hour of our time gone like the wind, or perhaps a train's slipstream. Desolate.

I believe that episode had no right to even be aired tbh.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:14 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon

Mark wrote:
Third ONE blue at five box in a row :D

And the second in a row with the blue on the table! And if not for yesterday's pure act of charity, it would have been the second in a row with the blue on the table being won!

Power5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:38 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon

A bit of luck is long overdue. Someone has to go to the end and reveal a red…

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:05 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon

American Coupon Boy wrote:
Gutting crash there, thought for sure he was wisely going to cut his losses at that generous £3,100 lifeline.

At least this game goes to show making reasonably generous offers at lower stakes produces exciting games. The Banker prodding Simon on with a 2k offer at 3 box and 500 quid or less at the end like the old banker would've just forced him to go through the motions rather than seriously consider the lifeline offers, and the fact he had all those arguable either way decisions go against him makes the crash all the more gutting.

I still prefer the old banker, to be honest - this one goes from absurdly cheap initial offers (even after an all-blue opener!), almost hoping the game will crash to protect the budget, to panicking the game will be a trainwreck and rather splashing the cash relative to the old banker when the stakes are modest. He clearly wanted Sophia to win yesterday, and made every effort to give Simon a spendable get-out today.

It's a fine line of course, but in my view it seems more 'bank error in your favour' banker than 'evil' banker these days. Perhaps this isn't a problem in 2020s, but let's at least have some initial offers above £2k for a bit of variety, at least with the hour-long format before there were some meaty offers at that stage, and you could see the true path of the game through the offers. The first couple of parts are usually a waste of time here.

And as much as these offers are reasonably generous, most of these players seem to be pretty much on Autopilot No Deals in the £3k range unless they're blindingly above the average. The only truly 'exciting' game with the stakes was Stevie's with a substantial sum on the line. Most won't feel much recrimination over losing a few grand in a game that never got off the ground offers-wise...

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Power5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:22 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon

Anyway, perhaps not surprising that someone using a Man Utd-based system at this moment in time won 10p :lol:

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:34 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 05/12 Simon
Forum Games Moderator

h2005 wrote:
Simon F wrote:

I think Richard in early 2007 made a similar promise about Andrew when he played. Richard then played the game after Andrew and the banker made an offer which had extra money specifically for Andrew: https://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 68#p254968 :twisted:

Dr. Hindsight wrote:
I’m curious to see the actual ratings, because if we keep seeing results like this, Deal 2023 is essentially dead in the water.

Apparently they're holding at around 2 million which is about the same as Tipping Point that usually occupies this timeslot. Based on that it's highly likely that DoND will be renewed. I think the last time the Edmonds version was getting about 2 million viewers regularly was around the end of 2011.

Wasn't there a game in April or May 2006 too, when somebody had said they'd give a portion of whatever they won to Fadil, who'd gone home with a penny?

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

[ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]